Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) Project No. #298
Project Name: Kaweah Project; FERC #298
(Image provided by State Water Board staff)
Applicant: Southern California Edison (SCE)
County: Tulare County
License Expiration Date: 12/31/2021
Water Quality Certification Status: Final Issued June 04, 2021
Waterbody: East and Middle Forks of the Kaweah River
FERC Licensing Process: Integrated Licensing Process
The Kaweah Project (Project) is located on the East and Middle Forks of the Kaweah River, just east of the town of Three Rivers, in Tulare County, California. The Project has limited storage capacity and is operated in the run-of- the-river mode with an authorized installed capacity of 8.85 megawatts. The Project provides for local water users along the Kaweah 1 and Kaweah 2 flowlines.
The existing Project consists of: (1) Kaweah No. 1 Diversion Dam and Pool; (2) Kaweah No. 2 Diversion Dam and Pool; (3) Kaweah No. 1 Flowline; (4) Kaweah No. 2 Flowline ; (5) Kaweah No. 3 Flowline ; (6) Kaweah No. 1 Forebay Tank; (7) Kaweah No. 2 Forebay; (8) Kaweah No. 3 Forebay; (9) Kaweah No. 1 Penstock; (10) Kaweah No. 2 Penstock; (11) Kaweah No. 3 Penstock; (12) Kaweah No. 1 Powerhouse and Switchyard; (13) Kaweah No. 2 Powerhouse and Switchyard; (14) Kaweah No. 3 Powerhouse and Switchyard. The Project also uses non-Project diversions and flowlines located within the Sequoia National Park under a Special Use Permit.
SCE’s website for the Project contains more information and many documents related to the relicensing.
- Final Water Quality Certification for the Kaweah Project – June 04, 2021
- Final Initial Study and Mitigated Negative Declaration – June 04, 2021
- Draft Water Quality Certification for the Kaweah Project – April 26, 2021
- Notice of Public Comment Period on Draft Water Quality Certification – April 26, 2021
- Notice of Intent to Adopt a Mitigated Negative Declaration – March 25, 2021
- Draft Mitigated Negative Declaration and Initial Study – March 25, 2021
- Pre-application and Scoping Document Comments – April 13, 2017