Lake Elsinore Advanced Pumped Storage Project
Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) Project No. 14227
Applicant: Nevada Hydro Company, Inc.
County: Riverside and San Diego
Water Quality Certification Status: Awaiting application
Waterbody: Lake Elsinore and San Juan Creek
FERC Licensing Process: Traditional Licensing Process
Project Description: On October 2, 2017, Nevada Hydro Company, Inc. (Nevada Hydro) filed an application for a new license with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) for the Lake Elsinore Advanced Pumped Storage (LEAPS) Project (FERC Project No. 14227). If approved, the LEAPS Project would be located on Lake Elsinore and San Juan Creek and the surrounding area in Riverside and San Diego Counties, near the city of Lake Elsinore, California. The LEAPS Project would occupy approximately 845 acres of the Cleveland National Forest.
The LEAPS Project would be operated as a pump storage project. Pumped storage projects move water between two reservoirs located at different elevations (i.e., an upper and lower reservoirs) to store energy and generate electricity. The proposed LEAPS Project involves construction of new Decker Canyon reservoir (upper reservoir) and use of the existing Lake Elsinore (lower reservoir). The powerhouse for the proposed LEAPS Project would include two, single-stage reversible pump-turbine units, with a total installed capacity of 500 megawatts (MW). The Project would generate an average of 1,560,000 megawatt-hours (MWh) annually.
- Lake Elsinore Advanced Pumped Storage Project Notice of Preparation - February 9, 2021
- March 8, 2021 CEQA Scoping Meeting Presentation - March 8, 2021
- To access other Project Documents, please visit the LEAPS FTP website (files will be available until April 13, 2021)
- Username: CHildeburn-FTP
- Password: LEAPS2021
Lake Elsinore Advanced Pumped Storage (LEAPS) Project, FERC No. 11858
- Response to Petition for Reconsideration of Fees for the Lake Elsinore Advanced Pumped Storage Project - January 31, 2012
- Order WQ 2011-0005
- Denial of Application for Water Quality Certification - October 1, 2009
- The Nevada Hydro Company, Inc. Petition for Reconsideration - November 2, 2009
- Notification of Petition for Reconsideration - January 4, 2010
- Comment Letters on Petition for Reconsideration