Newport Bay Fecal Coliform TMDL Stakeholder Group
A stakeholder process was conducted to address bacterial water quality regulations in Newport Bay with respect to Water Contact Recreational (“REC-1”) and Shellfish Harvesting (“SHEL”) beneficial uses. Orange County Coastkeeper (OCCK), and the County of Orange (County) solicited applications from interested parties to serve on a Stakeholder Group and represent the following categories/constituencies in the process:
- Municipal National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Co-permittees (2)
- Development/Business Community (3)
- Non-governmental Organization/Environmental Community (2)
In addition to these categories, the stakeholder representatives include:
- Orange County Coastkeeper (1)
- County/Orange County Flood Control District (1)
- Regional Board (3)
- Southern California Coastal Water Research Project (SCCWRP) (1; advisory role only)
Each Stakeholder Group representative was expected to report back to his or her respective constituency to keep them aware of the Stakeholder Group’s ongoing discussions, and to seek feedback as appropriate.
The Stakeholder Group’s primary role was to develop consensus recommendations that would be provided to the Regional Board regarding potential revisions to the regulation of bacterial water quality in Newport Bay. The stakeholder process was managed by a neutral, third-party facilitator tasked to direct the efforts of the group. At the conclusion of the series of meetings, the stakeholders provided recommendations for the consideration of the Regional Board.
The final Fecal Coliform Stakeholder Group Meeting occurred on August 23, 2018. At the completion of the series of the Stakeholder Group meetings required under the original agreement, the stakeholders agreed to extend discussions under the title of the Newport Bay Watershed Management Committee. This group has continued discussions of the Fecal coliform TMDL, starting with the meeting that was held at SCCWRP on November 6, 2018.
The members of the original Stakeholder Group continue to participate in this ongoing series of meetings. The Newport Bay Watershed Management Committee is not a public meeting, but since Regional Board staff are present, the proceedings of these meetings will be posted by the Regional Board.
- August 23, 2018 Fecal Coliform Stakeholder Group Meeting
- April 26, 2018 Fecal Coliform Stakeholder Group Meeting
- January 25, 2018 Fecal Coliform Stakeholder Group Meeting
- November 16, 2017 Fecal Coliform Stakeholder Group Meeting
- October 26, 2017 Fecal Coliform Stakeholder Group Meeting
- October 4, 2017 Fecal Coliform Stakeholder Group Meeting
- August 24, 2017 Fecal Coliform Stakeholder Group Meeting
- July 27, 2017 Fecal Coliform Stakeholder Group Meeting
- March 30, 2017 Fecal Coliform Stakeholder Group Meeting
- February 23, 2017 Fecal Coliform Stakeholder Group Meeting
- January 18, 2017 Fecal Coliform Stakeholder Group Meeting
Newport Bay Stakeholder Group Members
- Updating Shellfish Harvesting Objectives and Beneficial Use Designations SWRCB
- Shellfish Harvesting in Newport Bay OCER
- MSC in the NSSP_USFDA
- Catalina Sea Ranch Shellfish Operation
- Current Methods and Research Needs to Support Shellfish Harvesting SCCWRP
- Compliance Pathways for Attaining Shellfish Objectives OCER
Files are in Adobe Acrobat format. Get the free viewer by clicking on the icon below