Regulation on Waste and Unreasonable Water Uses
The State Water Board first adopted drought emergency conservation regulations in July 2014. Included in these regulations were prohibitions against certain wasteful water use practices. The Board expanded, updated, extended, and readopted the emergency regulations several times, most recently in February 2017. Governor Brown ended the drought State of Emergency in April 2017. In response, the State Water Board partially repealed the February drought emergency conservation regulations, maintaining urban water supplier reporting requirements and the prohibitions on wasteful water use practices. These remained in place until November 25th, 2017.
As directed by Executive Order B-40-17, the State Water Board is conducting a rulemaking to prohibit wasteful water use practices. This rulemaking is part of a broader framework to make conservation a California Way of Life, a pillar of the California Water Action Plan.
- Agenda Item, Draft Resolution, and Changes to Proposed Text of Regulation (February 8, 2018)
- Notice of 15-day Proposed Regulatory Action (January 31, 2018)
This document explains how to submit comments and includes changes to the proposed text of regulation.
- Changes to Proposed Text of Regulation (January 31, 2018)
This document only has changes to proposed text of regulation. It includes line numbers for easy reference. Additional regulation text is indicated by a red underline (underline) and deleted regulation text is indicated by a red strikethrough (
strikethrough). There will be an additional 15-day comment period for the revised proposal, with comments accepted until 12:00 noon on February 14, 2018. The State Water Board will consider the proposed regulation at its February 20, 2018 meeting.
- Fact Sheet: Revised Proposed Regulation on Wasteful Water Use Practices (January 31, 2018)
- FAQ (January 31, 2018)
- Notice of Proposed Regulatory Action (November 2, 2017)
- Proposed Text of Regulation (November 1, 2017) See underlined text starting with Section 963 on page 6. See text starting with Section 963 on page 6. The first section of this document is existing regulatory language that is being moved without changes to a new location as part of code cleanup. New text is in underline as required by the Office of Administrative Law.
- Initial Statement of Reasons (ISoR) (November 8, 2017)
- Economic and Fiscal Analysis (Form 399 and supplement) (November 1, 2017)
- California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), Draft Initial Study/Negative Declaration, Analyzing the Impact of Permanently Prohibiting Certain Wasteful Water Use Practices (November 1, 2017)
- FAQ (November 20, 2017)
Meetings and Workshops
- State Water Board Adoption Hearing, February 20, 2018 | Webcast | Video (posted after hearing)
- Notice of Public Workshop and Opportunity for Public Comment on November 21, 2017 | Video (available after workshop) State Water Board public workshop to receive input on Proposed Regulation.
Subscribe to our Water Conservation Regulations email list to receive notifications and the latest updates. After subscribing, you will need to check your email host for a confirmation email to complete the subscription.
Subscribe to our other email lists. See the "General Interest" section.
For additional information or questions, please contact one of the representatives listed below. Email is preferred. Please be specific regarding your request, whether it is an interview request, speaker request, or question. Thank you.