The Office of Enforcement - Special Investigations Unit (SIU)
Mission:SIU investigates complaints and suspected violations regarding illegal discharges or dumping, pollution, or permit violations for facilities located throughout the state. SIU supports the Regional Water Boards and the Division of Drinking Water investigations when additional staff or expertise is needed. SIU assists the prosecution of violations by providing technical expertise in settlement negotiations and expert testimony during hearings.
Additionally, SIU undertakes special enforcement projects for the State Water Board's Executive Director and conducts enforcement training, which includes topics such as evidence gathering, sample collection, and conducting interviews.
ProgramsSIU provides technical guidance, and enforcement assistance for regional boards and the Division of Drinking Water.
- Sanitary Sewer Overflow Reduction: Enforces Sanitary Sewer Systems Waste Discharge Requirements. Technical support for system compliance evaluations, inspections, and audits.
- Stormwater: Offers technical support for site inspections, compliance, and enforces stormwater general permits including construction, industrial, municipal, and Caltrans permits.
- Wastewater Treatment: Provides technical expertise for routine facility compliance, and evaluates chronic problems, illegal discharges, or operational issues.
- Office of Operator Certification: Enforces drinking water treatment, drinking water distribution, and wastewater treatment facility operator regulations. Investigations include operator misconduct, plant operator misclassification, and expired certificates.
- Division of Water Rights: Assists and provides technical support for emergency drought inspections and investigations.
- Water Conservation: Leads enforcement of the emergency conservation regulations.
To file an environment complaint, please use the CalEPA Environmental Complaint System.
Dr. Matthew Buffleben, SIU Supervisor