Underground Storage Tank (UST) Program
Leak Prevention Frequently Asked Questions
- When performing post-installation enhanced leak detection (ELD), using the Enhanced Tracer Tight® test method, what portions of the underground storage tank (UST) system need to be inoculated?
- If an underground storage tank (UST) component (e.g., piping, tank, or under-dispenser containment) is continuously monitored using a vacuum, pressure, or hydrostatic (VPH) method, is the component exempt from secondary containment testing?
- Who can serve as a “Designated UST Operator”?
- What tasks is a Designated UST Operator required to perform?
- How many UST facilities can an individual be the Designated UST Operator for?
- Are sumps and under-dispenser containment (UDC) (i.e., non-integral secondary containment) required to be approved by an independent testing organization or a California registered professional engineer (P.E.)?
- If an overfill alarm is triggered when a delivery person is filling my tank, is this, in itself, a violation?
- Who is a “facility employee” and therefore needs to be trained? Who provides the “facility employee” training? What tasks is a “facility employee” required to perform? How is the “facility employee” training requirement implemented at an underground storage tank (UST) facility that is not routinely staffed (“unmanned”)?
- Why is UST inspector certification required?
- How does the UST inspector certification requirement apply to new inspectors?
- How can the required UST inspector certification be renewed?
- Are monthly Designated UST Operator inspections required when a UST facility is in temporary closure?
- Are spill containers required to be approved by an independent testing organization or have affirmative statements of compatibility?
- When can an underground storage tank be relined and how many times?
- Are Unified Program Agencies (UPAs) required to document that an underground storage tank (UST) owner/operator has demonstrated to the satisfaction of the UPA that a UST system has been properly closed by removal or closure-in-place?
- Is the low-level containment sump testing an acceptable method of secondary containment testing?
If you have a suggestion for Frequently Asked Questions, please contact Annalisa Kihara by email at: Annalisa.Kihara@waterboards.ca.gov.