Drinking Water Field Operations Branch District 21
Welcome to the Valley District
The Valley District of the Division of Drinking Water (Division) consists of more than 400 public water systems in six counties in Northern California, including Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Sutter, Tehama, and Yuba. The Valley District administers water systems in more counties than any of the other 24 districts in California, and its water systems face a high diversity of water quality and water quantity challenges. Many of these water systems are economically disadvantaged.
Three of the counties, Butte, Tehama, and Yuba, have contracted with the Division as local primacy agencies (LPAs, staffed by county health departments) that administer the small water system program within their jurisdictions. These LPA administered water systems make up approximately 60 percent of the water systems in the Valley District. Small water systems serve drinking water to restaurants, businesses, schools, churches, etc., and to communities having less than 200 service connections.
Some water systems in the Valley District have significant water rights issues - many brought to light during the recent drought - and many have water quality problems, including contamination of drinking water at levels that exceed regulatory thresholds (e.g., volatile organic compounds, arsenic, hexavalent chromium, nitrate, iron, and manganese.)
Unlike many drinking water districts, Valley District staff are not assigned to particular territories or water systems, but are tasked with specific areas of responsibilities. As our grand chief says: The Valley District plays a "zone defense". Each person in the Valley District has broad experience and, all are able to assist with any needs or questions you may have. Feel free to Contact Us at any time.
Important Dates and Reminders
- Annual Nitrate (as N) DUE by December 31*
- Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) - Distribute by July 1
- Electronic Annual Report (eAR) DUE by April 1
- Lead and Copper test schedules can be found in the quick link below. If your system received a citation for a monitoring violation, follow the directions for the revised sample schedule in the citation – DO NOT FOLLOW the sample schedule in the quick link below. Contact us if you have any questions.
- Quarterly Compliance Order Requirements due by April 10th, July 10th, October 10th, and January 10th
Treated Water Systems
- Disinfection By-Product test schedules can be found in the quick link below. Contact us if you are unsure of your sampling schedule.
- Second Round LT2 Monitoring Begins for Surface Water Systems - Contact Us for when you start
*Some systems may be on a more frequent schedule