Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS)
Welcome to the Water Boards' Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) webpage
- NEW! Target Analytical Reporting Limits for PFAS compliance with EPA Method 1633 for Aqueous Samples
- UPDATED on November 1, 2023! 3M and DuPont Class Action Lawsuit Settlements Approved by U.S. District Court – Direct Impacts to Legal Rights of Many California Water Providers
- These settlement terms are binding on all California water providers and will result in a waiver of the right to pursue future litigation against 3M and DuPont UNLESS a water provider "opts out" of the settlement by filing a request for exclusion by December 4 and 11, 2023, respectively. An important notice about how these settlements may adversely impact your water system's legal rights is provided here (PFAS: Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances Drinking Water Systems | California State Water Resources Control Board).
- Related Information listed below is also provided at PFAS: Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances Drinking Water Systems | California State Water Resources Control Board:
- Template Letters to Request Exclusion
- Affidavits in Support of Request for Exclusion from Settlement Agreement
- Opt Out Checklists
- The settling parties have provided information about these settlements at www.pfaswatersettlement.com and water providers will be sent a court ordered notice via e-mail and U.S. mail. Additional information and resources related to these settlements will be provided on this website and through the Division of Drinking Water's email distribution list for water systems.
The settlement agreements can be viewed at the following links:
- NEW! Santa Ana Regional Water Quality Control Board - PFAS website.
- ELAP Offering EPA Method 1633 and Draft EPA Method 1621. Apply for ELAP Accreditation.
- NEW! Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) Funding
- PFAS Strategic Roadmap: EPA’s Commitments to Action 2021-2024
- Public Water System and Investigative Order Analytical Results available on the GeoTracker PFAS Mapping Tool
- Target Analytical Reporting Limits for PFAS compliance with DoD Table B-15 of QSM, Version 5.3 or later (updated 10/18/23)
- Laboratories Accredited by ELAP (Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program)
2020 PFAS Datathon
2019 PFAS Technical Seminar
December 4-5, 2019
For questions, please send an email to PFAS@waterboards.ca.gov; please put "PFAS Seminar" in the subject line.
- April 5, 2022 PFAS Informational Item
- October 7, 2020 PFAS Informational Item
- December 16, 2019: Chrome Plating Presentation (Video Recording)
- April 5, 2019: Public presentation: "Overview of In Situ and Ex Situ Technologies in Development for the Treatment of Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances"
- Video Recording (Video date: April 5, 2019)
- April 3, 2019: PFAS Monitoring Orders-Public Water System Informational Webinar
- March 6, 2019 PFAS Informational Item