Beaches - Vessel General Permit / Small Vessel General Permit (U.S. EPA)
Vessel General Permit Certification
The 2013 Vessel General Permit (VGP) is a Clean Water Act National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit that authorizes, on a nationwide basis, discharges incidental to the normal operation of commercial vessels that are non-military and non-recreational, greater than or equal to 79 feet in length.
The Small Vessel General Permit (SVGP) is an NPDES permit that authorizes, on a nationwide basis, discharges incidental to the normal operation of commercial vessel that are non-military and non-recreational, less than 79 feet in length.
Pursuant to federal law (Title 33, United States Code, Section 1341; Clean Water Act Section 401), applicants for a federal license or permit for activities which may discharge to waters of the United States must seek Water Quality Certification from the state or Indian tribe with jurisdiction. Such Certification is based on a finding that the discharge will meet water quality standards and other applicable requirements. In California, Regional Water Quality Control Boards (RWQCBs) issue or deny Certification for Discharges within their geographical jurisdiction. The State Water Resources Control Board has this responsibility for projects affecting waters within multiple RWQCB jurisdictions.
- Comments received during May 24, 2012 to June 8, 2012 comment period
- Comment responses for the May 24, 2012 to June 8, 2012 comment period
2013 VGP/SVGP Certification
- Certification Order - September 27, 2012
- Public Notice - March 28, 2012
2008 VGP Certification
- Modification to Certification, December 14, 2011
- Enclosure 1, December 14, 2011
- Attachments, December 14, 2011
- Previous February 4, 2009 Certification
- Certification Order - Enclosure 1
- Frequently Asked Questions
Other Relevant Pages
- Federal Vessel General Permit (U.S. EPA)
- 401 - Certification and Wetlands Program
- Vessel Discharge Information (U.S. EPA)
- California Clean Coast Act (SB 771) - Vessel Discharges
- No Discharge Zones (U.S. EPA)
- Marinas and Recreational Boating - Nonpoint Source Program (U.S. EPA)
- Nonpoint Source Encyclopedia
Questions or Comments?
- Technical: Renan Jauregui - (916) 341-5505 or email at: Renan.Jauregui@waterboards.ca.gov
- Permit/Certification: Renan Jauregui - (916) 341-5505 or email at: Renan.Jauregui@waterboards.ca.gov
- 401 Certification: Bill Orme - (916) 341-5464 or email at: Bill.Orme@waterboards.ca.gov