Water Loss Control
California Water Code Section 10608.34 requires the State Water Board to develop water loss performance standards for urban retail water suppliers between January 2019 and July 2020. The State Water Board is required to evaluate the life-cycle cost of achieving these standards.
Executive Orders B-37-16 and B-40-17 direct the State Water Board and Department of Water Resources (DWR) to minimize water waste through system leaks.
Meetings and Workshops
- Staff proposal for framework of water loss performance standards
- Staff presentations:
Framework overview | Adjustments and Compliance | Economic basis
- Avoided Cost of Water, State Water Resources Control Board
- IRWD’s Water Loss Control Programs and Cost-Effectiveness, Irvine Ranch Water District
- Water Loss Control in Los Angeles, LA Department of Water & Power
- Overview of Life Cycle Cost Assessment: Case Study of LCA Alternatives Assessment of Lead-Free Cast Brass for the Potable Water Supply Components, University of California Los Angeles
- Monitoring and Estimation Technologies | Pressure management | Technology-Constraint Matrix, State Water Resources Control Board
- Machine learning and Pipeline Replacement Prioritization, East Bay Municipal Utility District
Public Stakeholder Meeting #1 March 9, 2018, Sacramento
California Water Code Section 10608.34 requires urban retail water suppliers to conduct and submit validated water loss audit reports to the Department of Water Resources on October 1, annually.
California Water Code Section 10631 requires all urban water suppliers to submit water loss audits with their Urban Water Management Plans every five years to DWR.
Water Audit Certificate Program by CA-NV AWWA’s Water Loss CollaborativeThe Water Loss Technical Assistance Program (TAP) provided training and validation to initiate California’s validated water loss auditing process.
State Assistance and Efforts
- Drinking Water State Revolving Fund
- Resources from the State-funded Water Loss TAP (California-Nevada AWWA)
- DWR’s Regional Offices for leak detection equipment for short-term lease under ‘Technical Assistance’
- Memorandum of Understanding between California and Denmark
Auditing, Validation and Control Strategies
- Free AWWA water audit software from the AWWA Water Loss Control Committee
- Fact Sheet on water loss control by the Water Research Foundation
- Manuals for validation guidance and concepts by the Water Research Foundation
- Resources from the Natural Resources Defense Council
- Alliance for Water Efficiency Library on water loss control