Nonpoint Source Pollution (NPS) Control Program
Grants & Funding
The NPS Program administers grant money it receives from United States Environmental Protection Agency through Section 319(h) of the Federal Clean Water Act and from the state Timber Regulation and Forest Restoration Fund. These grant funds can be used to implement projects or programs that will help to reduce NPS pollution. Projects that qualify for funding must be conducted within the state's NPS priority watersheds. Project proposals that address Total Maximum Daily Load implementation and those that address problems in impaired waters are favored in the selection process. In addition, the NPS Grant Program funds projects that implement forest management measures on forest lands to improve water quality. There is also a focus on implementing management activities that lead to reduction and/or prevention of pollutants that threaten or impair surface and ground waters.
NPS Grant Program
Subscribe online to receive email notifications and updates for both Nonpoint Source 319(h) and Timber Fund Grants Program - located in the "Financial Assistance Topics" section @ http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/resources/email_subscriptions/swrcb_subscribe.shtml
For questions or comments about the Nonpoint Source Grant Program please contact Jodi Pontureri, Div. of Water Quality by email at Jodi.Pontureri@waterboards.ca.gov or phone at (916) 341- 5306.
Fundable Project Lists
- 2021 Nonpoint Source Grant Program – Fundable Project List
- 2020 Nonpoint Source Grant Program – Fundable Project List
- 2019 Nonpoint Source Grant Program – Fundable Project List
- 2018 Nonpoint Source Grant Program – Fundable Project List
Current Grant Guidelines and Solicitation Notice (fiscal year 2022)
- 2022 NPS Grant Program Guidelines
- 2022 CWA 319 NPS Grant Program Solicitation
- Attachment C: Watershed-based Plan Verification Table
- Attachment C: Alternative Watershed-based Plan Verification Table
- Attachment E: Budget Template (Excel) is a required form for submitting an application in FAAST. Applicants should obtain this form by contacting their Regional Board NPS Grant Coordinators (see 2022 NPS Grant Guidelines, Appendix 7)
- Attachment F: Match Fund Template
- Attachment J: Environmental Clearance Checklist
Past Grant Guidelines
NPS Grant Project Information
Grant Reporting and Tracking System - is an online database that provides status of the grant projects from the USEPA grant tracking database.
Other Funding Opportunities
Funding Programs at the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) - The Division of Financial Assistance (DFA) administers the implementation of the SWRCB's financial assistance programs, that include loan and grant funding for construction of municipal sewage and water recycling facilities, remediation for underground storage tank releases, watershed protection projects, nonpoint source pollution control projects, etc. Funding programs can be found in the "current funding" tab on the DFA website.