Nonpoint Source Pollution (NPS) Control Program - California Grazing Water Quality Guidance 2020
The State Water Board, in collaboration with Regional Water Boards and stakeholders throughout the state, is developing a non-regulatory guidance document on livestock grazing management in California. This non-regulatory guidance document, called the Grazing Water Quality Guidance, is an update to the 1995 California Rangeland Water Quality Management Plan. It will compile information for ranchers, the public, governmental organizations, and non-governmental organizations on grazing best management practices and describe how the California Water Boards and other land managers regulate water quality affected by grazing in California.
Goals of the Grazing Water Quality Guidance:
- Promote effective grazing management practices through technical guidance on best management practices to reduce or eliminate grazing impacts to water quality
- Provide information on the roles and requirements of the Water Boards in addressing water quality
- Update the 25-year old Rangeland Water Quality Management Plan
- Provide the grazing community tools to assist in compliance with the Regional Water Boards’ actions on grazing
On September 16, 2015, the State Water Resources Control Board adopted Resolution No. 2015-0062. At that public meeting, the State Water Board instructed staff to engage with the University of California to update tools and documents related to grazing best management practices and water quality. In accordance with this instruction, the State Water Board is developing a non-regulatory guidance document on livestock grazing management in California.
- Contact Jessica Leonard using the contact information below to be added to an email list for announcements and opportunities to comment.
- From July 7, 2020 to July 22, 2020 stakeholders were invited to complete a survey of eight questions. The list of questions asked is provided below.
- A stakeholder meeting was held on July 7, 2020 to present the background, context and goals for the project. The presentation slides from the meeting are provided below.
- July 7, 2020 Grazing Guidance Meeting Slides (coming soon)
Jessica Leonard, State Water Resources Control Board
Phone: (916) 341-5980