Proposed Statewide General Waste Discharge Requirements (WDRs) for Wineries
The State Water Board is developing General WDRs for winery process water (Winery Order) that addresses land discharge of process water from wineries, grape juice storage facilities, and wine distillation facilities (hereafter collectively referred to as wineries). The Winery Order will be applicable statewide and is intended to streamline and improve permitting consistency.
The State Water Board will continue to engage the public and stakeholders as part of the Winery Order development process and this website will be updated with related documents and public meetings as they become available.
None at this time.
On November 16, 2020, E&J Gallo Winery and members of the Wine Institute met with Board Vice Chair Dorene D’Adamo to discuss information on the draft Winery Order.
On November 16, 2020, members of the Wine Institute met with Board Member Laurel Firestone to discuss information on the draft Winery Order.
On August 21, 2020, Jackson Family Wines met with Board Chair Joaquin Esquivel to present information on the draft Winery Order.
Please email DWQ-Winery@Waterboards.ca.gov to obtain the above ExParte materials.
On July 3, 2020, State Water Board transmitted the draft Winery Order to the public for comment and additionally noticed a July 22 public workshop, and the future proposed adoption of the draft Winery Order. The draft Winery Order incorporates feedback from stakeholders on the 2019 administrative draft documents.
- REVISED Public Notice for the draft General WDRs Waste Discharge Requirements for Winery Process Water and draft California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Initial Study and Mitigated Negative Declaration (10/29/20)
- Draft General WDRs for Winery Process Water (07/03/20)
- Draft CEQA Initial Study and Mitigated Negative Declaration (07/03/20)
- Office of Public Affairs Factsheet (07/03/20)
If you have questions on the draft Winery Order, please contact staff at (916) 341-6904 or DWQ-Winery@Waterboards.ca.gov.
On February 11, 2019, the State Water Board transmitted an administrative draft of the Winery Order to the public for informal comments; the informal comment period closed April 5, 2019.
- Administrative Draft Winery Order, February 11, 2019
- Staff held outreach meetings between April and August of 2019 in Hopland, Lodi, Napa, San Luis Obispo, and Temecula. Please email staff at DWQ-Winery@waterboards.ca.gov for a copy of the presentation.
Subscribe to our Statewide General WDRs for Wineries email list to receive notifications and the latest updates. After subscribing, you will need to check your email host for a confirmation email to complete the subscription.
Subscribe to our other email lists. See the "Water Quality" section.