Water Rights Information
Research Water Rights Topics
As a result of staffing reductions due to budget restrictions, the Division of Water Rights will no longer be able to conduct general research for the public.
If you are interested in a specific water right, please use the online eWRIMS database. Within eWRIMS, you may search for and view water right permits and licenses using various search criteria. Once you identify the water right information you are seeking, you may download additional information by clicking the “download to Excel” button within the search results.
If you require assistance researching an issue, you may choose to: (1) contact a consultant or attorney to conduct the research for you, (2) request that a copy of any of our files be sent to you at your cost, or (3) visit our file room and conduct the research in person (see below). For your convenience, we have listed the contact information for some consultants and attorneys.
To schedule an appointment to view hard-copy water right records, please contact the Division’s Records Unit by phone at (916) 341-5300 or by e-mail at email@example.com. When scheduling an appointment, please provide the date, time, and type of records you are interested in viewing to allow time for Records staff to retrieve the appropriate records associated with your request. In addition, providing this information in advance will assist the Records Unit with coordinating your visit with building security.
If you have general questions, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page.
If your question is not answered and does not require additional research, please contact us.
- Statewide Notice of Potential Future Curtailment
- The Water Rights Process
- Water Rights Processing Flowcharts
- California Water Code (Legislative Counsel website)
- 2016 Statutory Water Rights Law
- California Code of Regulations (See Title 23, Sections 640 to 1024)
- Procedures Governing Adjudicative Proceedings - before the State and Regional Water Boards
- CEQA (California Environmental Quality Act)
- Hearings Program - Status of Current Projects
- Water Rights Database (eWRIMS)
- Division Organization Chart
- Monthly Progress Reports
- Water Rights Forms
- Water Rights Business Information Contacts (Attorneys, Engineering Consultants, etc)
- Frequently Asked Questions - General Information
- Directions and Parking - State Water Resources Control Board - Cal/EPA, Sacramento
- Department of Fish and Wildlife Regional Map