Hearings Program: Petition for Statutory Adjudication of Water Rights in the Fresno River Watershed
On October 18, 2018, the Division of Water Rights received a petition from the Madera Irrigation District seeking to initiate a statutory adjudication of the water rights to the Fresno River and its tributaries. The petition requests that the State Water Board use its existing authorities to resolve ongoing conflicts over water rights, use, and allocations within the Fresno River watershed.
A statutory adjudication is a proceeding by which the rights to water in a stream system are determined through a State Water Board proceeding and court decree. California Water Code sections 2500-2868 and California Code of Regulations Title 23 section 946 describe the State Water Board’s process in evaluating a petition and conducting a statutory adjudication. Previous statutory adjudications conducted by the Board are listed on the Division’s Water Rights Judgments and Determinations page.
The Board considered the petition at a September 17, 2019 Board Meeting and adopted the Draft Resolution linked below with no changes. Prior to the meeting, a written comment period was held from July 16 – August 16, 2019. Comment letters received by the Board are available upon request. Fresno River parties were allowed time to negotiate an agreement to resolve conflicts over the diversion and use of water in the basin and were directed to return to the Board in May 2020, or as the Board’s schedule allowed, to report on their progress. On June 16, 2020, Board staff notified parties that it plans to bring the Fresno River settlement progress update before the Board no earlier than September 2020.
If you are interested in receiving updates on this matter, please sign up for the Fresno River Adjudication email list (under the Water Rights Heading). For other questions regarding this matter, please contact the Hearings Unit by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at (916) 319-0960.
- October 18, 2018 - Madera Irrigation District Petition for the Adjudication of Rights to the Fresno River
- July 16, 2019 - State Water Board Notice of Opportunity for Public Comment and Notice of Public Board Meeting
- July 16, 2019 - State Water Board Fact Sheet on the Petition for Statutory Adjudication of Water Rights in the Fresno River Watershed
- July 16, 2019 - State Water Board Letter to existing water right claimants in the Fresno River Watershed
- September 5, 2019 - State Water Board Follow-Up Letter to existing water right claimants in the Fresno River Watershed
- September 6, 2019 - State Water Board Agenda for September 17, 2019 Board Meeting
- September 6, 2019 - State Water Board Agenda Item
- September 6, 2019 - State Water Board Draft Resolution
- September 17, 2019 – State Water Board Meeting video, Agenda Item 10
Lower Fresno River Preliminary Desktop Investigation
The Division of Water Rights has completed a preliminary desktop investigation of water rights and potential claims to the mainstem of the Fresno River from Hidden Dam to the confluence with the San Joaquin River (Lower Fresno River). Please note that this investigation compiles publicly available information to aid the parties in their negotiations. It does NOT represent a determination of water rights or supporting facts. The investigation results are contained in the tables and maps below, and the summary report contains a detailed explanation of the methods, data sources, and context for the investigation results. The report also includes instructions on how to provide comments or corrections.