Annual Water Diversion and Use Reporting Help
As of 2016, all Water Right holders are required to electronically submit Water Diversion and Use Reports to the State Water Resources Control Board on an annual basis (CCR, Title 23, Division 3, Chapter 2.7 Water Diversion and Use Reports).
On September 23, 2021, Governor Gavin Newsom signed Senate Bill (SB) 155 (Statutes 2021, Chapter 258, Committee on Budget and Fiscal Review), which modifies the reporting deadline and reporting period for annual water use to the Division of Water Rights. See below for more details.
On January 4, 2023, the State Water Board adopted regulations to align the water use reporting dates to match the reporting period and deadlines in SB 155. Additionally, all water right holders and diverters must notify the Board within 30 days of a change of ownership, contact information or diverter information or they may be in violation of the California Code of Regulations and liable in an amount not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500) for each day in which the violation occurs.
Important Dates for 2023-24
|Reporting Period||Reporting Begins||Reporting Deadline|
|October 1, 2022 - September 30, 2023||October 1, 2023||February 1, 2024|
|October 1, 2023 – September 30, 2024||October 1, 2023||February 1, 2025|
Filing your Annual Water Use Report
View your water right record on eWRIMS to review the terms and conditions of your water right.
Information you should gather before filling out your report online:
- Use of water Information
- Types of beneficial uses
- Crop information for irrigation use, including area irrigated
- Monthly water diversion amounts for the following:
- Amount directly diverted
- Amount diverted to storage
- Amount used
- Monthly Maximum Rate of Diversion (if available)
- Water Transfer Information
- Water Supply Contract Information
- Measurement Device Information (for diversions > 10 acre-feet annually)
- View the measurement page for more details
- Reservoir Information (if your water right includes storage)
- Name of reservoir
- Spillway Information
- Water Levels
- Water Conservation Information
- Water Quality and Wastewater Reclamation
- Conjunctive Use of Groundwater and Surface Water
Subscribe to our Water Rights Reporting Notification email list to receive notifications and the latest updates. After subscribing, you will need to check your email host for a confirmation email to complete the subscription.
- Email: RMS@waterboards.ca.gov
- Phone: (916) 341-5431