Annual Water Diversion and Use Reporting Help
On September 23, 2021, Governor Gavin Newsom signed Senate Bill (SB) 155 (Statutes 2021, Chapter 258, Committee on Budget and Fiscal Review), which modifies the reporting deadline and reporting period for annual water use to the Division of Water Rights. See below for more details.
Important Dates for 2022
January 3, 2022 – Annual Water Diversion and Use Reports for the 2021 reporting year are available on the Report Management System.
- February 2022 – The Division of Water Rights mails reminder notices with user IDs and passwords to primary owners and agents.
- April 1, 2022 – Reporting deadline for Appropriative Rights, Stockpond Certificates, and Registrations
What’s New for 2022
- A new water reporting law (Senate Bill 155 ) modifies the water use reporting periods and deadlines. In 2022, water right holders must report on their water use between January 1, 2021 and September 30, 2021 by April 1, 2022. Water use for October 1, 2021 through September 30, 2022 (water year) will be reported by February 1, 2023. See the SB 155 bill language for more information. An illustrative chart of changes is provided below and in detail here.
|Reporting Period||Reporting Begins||Reporting Deadline|
|January 1, 2021 -September 30, 2021||January 1, 2022||April 1, 2022|
|October 1, 2021 - September 30, 2022||October 1, 2022||February 1, 2023|
|October 1, 2022 - September 30, 2023||October 1, 2023||February 1, 2024|
Filing your Annual Water Use Report
View your water right record on eWRIMS to review the terms and conditions of your water right.
Information you should gather before filling out your report online:
- Use of water Information
- Types of beneficial uses
- Crop information for irrigation use, including area irrigated
- Monthly water diversion amounts for the following:
- Amount directly diverted
- Amount diverted to storage
- Amount used
- Monthly Maximum Rate of Diversion (if available)
- Water Transfer Information
- Water Supply Contract Information
- Measurement Device Information (for diversions > 10 acre-feet annually)
- View the measurement page for more details
- Reservoir Information (if your water right includes storage)
- Name of reservoir
- Spillway Information
- Water Levels
- Water Conservation Information
- Water Quality and Wastewater Reclamation
- Conjunctive Use of Groundwater and Surface Water
Subscribe to our Water Rights Reporting Notification email list to receive notifications and the latest updates. After subscribing, you will need to check your email host for a confirmation email to complete the subscription.
- Email: RMS@waterboards.ca.gov
- Phone: (916) 341-5431