Annual Water Diversion and Use Reporting Help
As of 2016, all Water Right holders are required to electronically submit Water Diversion and Use Reports to the State Water Resources Control Board on an annual basis (CCR, Title 23, Division 3, Chapter 2.7 Water Diversion and Use Reports).
On September 23, 2021, Governor Gavin Newsom signed Senate Bill (SB) 155 (Statutes 2021, Chapter 258, Committee on Budget and Fiscal Review), which modifies the reporting deadline and reporting period for annual water use to the Division of Water Rights. See below for more details.
Important Dates for 2022
- October 1, 2022 – Annual Water Diversion and Use Reports for the October 1, 2021 through September 30, 2022 reporting year are available on the Report Management System.
- October 2022 – The Division of Water Rights mails reminder notices with user IDs and passwords to primary owners and agents.
- February 1, 2023 – Reporting deadline for all Water Rights (Appropriative Rights, Stockpond Certificates, Registrations, Statements of Water Diversion and Use, and Groundwater Recordation)
What’s New for 2022
- A new water reporting law (Senate Bill 155 ) modifies the water use reporting periods and deadlines.
- On October 1, 2022, reporting begins for the period covering October 1, 2021 through September 30, 2022; reports for this period are due on February 1, 2023. (The last reporting period covered January 1, 2021 through September 30, 2021. Reports were due on April 1, 2022.)
- An illustrative chart of changes is provided below and in detail here.
|Reporting Period||Reporting Begins||Reporting Deadline|
|October 1, 2021 - September 30, 2022||October 1, 2022||February 1, 2023|
|October 1, 2022 - September 30, 2023||October 1, 2023||February 1, 2024|
Filing your Annual Water Use Report
View your water right record on eWRIMS to review the terms and conditions of your water right.
Information you should gather before filling out your report online:
- Use of water Information
- Types of beneficial uses
- Crop information for irrigation use, including area irrigated
- Monthly water diversion amounts for the following:
- Amount directly diverted
- Amount diverted to storage
- Amount used
- Monthly Maximum Rate of Diversion (if available)
- Water Transfer Information
- Water Supply Contract Information
- Measurement Device Information (for diversions > 10 acre-feet annually)
- View the measurement page for more details
- Reservoir Information (if your water right includes storage)
- Name of reservoir
- Spillway Information
- Water Levels
- Water Conservation Information
- Water Quality and Wastewater Reclamation
- Conjunctive Use of Groundwater and Surface Water
Subscribe to our Water Rights Reporting Notification email list to receive notifications and the latest updates. After subscribing, you will need to check your email host for a confirmation email to complete the subscription.
- Email: RMS@waterboards.ca.gov
- Phone: (916) 341-5431