Water Resiliency - Prevent
The best type of incident is one that did not happen. This can be done by preventing an incident or event from occurring or impacting an asset, or to minimize the consequences. Conduct the risk and resilience assessment that covers an all-hazards approach. Use the concept of a multi-barrier approach to prevention.
- Deter – having warning signs, hardening the target, dissuading a would-be nefarious entity to move on to another asset.
- Detect – using tools and technology to alert if an intrusion is occurring. The use of technology is less expensive nowadays.
- Delay – implementing measures to prevent or increase the time element before an incident can affect an asset – having multiple alternative options, connections.
- Mitigate – implement measures to minimize or eliminate the effects or consequences of an incident. This can involve the elimination of the threat or the vulnerability.
- HAZARD MITIGATION – funds available; coordinate with the State Hazard Mitigation Officer (SHMO); coordinate with your County’s Local Hazard Mitigation Plan (LHMP).