Recycled Water - Advisory Group on Feasibility of Developing Criteria for Direct Potable Reuse
Receive updates by email. Subscribe to our Recycled Surface Water Augmentation & Direct Potable Reuse email list. See the "Drinking Water" section.
Background on the Advisory Group
Water Code sections 13560-13569 [SB 918 (Pavley), 2010 and SB 322 (Hueso), 2013] require us to investigate and report to the Legislature on the feasibility of developing uniform water recycling criteria for direct potable reuse.
The law also requires an Expert Panel to be appointed to:
- Assess what, if any, additional areas of research are needed to be able to establish uniform water recycling criteria for direct potable reuse;
- Advise the department on public health issues and scientific and technical matters regarding development of uniform water recycling criteria for indirect potable reuse through surface water augmentation; and
- Advise the department on public health issues and scientific and technical matters regarding the feasibility of developing uniform water recycling criteria for direct potable reuse.
The Advisory Group is to provide consultation to CDPH in the selection of the members of the Expert Panel. The Advisory Group is also to advise the Expert Panel on item (3) mentioned above.
Recommendations of the Advisory Group on the Feasibility of Developing Uniform Recycling Criteria for Direct Potable Resue (DPR)
The Advisory Group has submitted their recommendations to the State Water Board on issues related to the feasibility of developing uniform water recycling criteria for DPR. This consensus report represents a culmination of the discussions held during 11 public meetings of the Advisory Group that were held at various locations throughout the state over a 28-month timeframe.
In accordance with Water Code section 13566, the State Water Board has considered the recommendations of the Expert Panel and Advisory Group and prepared a draft Report to the Legislature. For more information on the Draft Report and how to provide public comments and attend public workshops, please visit the DDW Report to Legislature page.
Advisory Group Meetings
Meetings of the Advisory Group on Feasibility of Developing Criteria for Direct Potable Reuse are subject to the Bagley-Keene Open Meeting Act. We encourage interested parties to provide input.
- June 15, 2016 Advisory Group Meeting - meeting agenda - meeting minutes
- April 8, 2016 - meeting agenda - meeting minutes
- March 3, 2016 meeting agenda - meeting minutes
- Agenda Item 4 - Update from the Division of Drinking Water
- Agenda Item 5 - Progress on DPR Briefing Papers
- Agenda Item 6 - Public Attitudes Toward Potable Use of Recycled Water
- January 19, 2016 - meeting agenda - meeting minutes
- Agenda Item 5 - Capacity Development Presentation 1 | Presentation 2
- Agenda Item 6 - Update from the Division of Drinking Water
- Agenda Item 7 - Advisory Group Process for Recommendations to DDW
- Agenda Item 8 - AdHoc Committee on Operator Certification
- Agenda Item 10 - Recap of Expert Panel Meeting #7
- Agenda Item 11 - Progress on Expert Panel Briefing Papers
- Agenda Item 13 - Meeting Schedule for 2016
- October 22, 2015 - meeting agenda - meeting minutes
- July 29, 2015 - meeting agenda
- meeting minutes
- May 1, 2015 - meeting agenda - meeting minutes
- February 20, 2015 - meeting agenda - meeting minutes
- November 10, 2014 - meeting agenda - meeting minutes
- July 11, 2014 - meeting agenda - meeting minutes
- February 21, 2014 - meeting agenda - meeting minutes
Consultation on selection of members of the Expert Panel was among the agenda items - Slide Presentation: (PDF - 2.14MB).
Members of the Advisory Group
The law requires that the Advisory Group be composed of not less than nine members and have representatives from water and wastewater agencies, local public health officers, environmental organizations, environmental justice organizations, public health nongovernmental organizations, CDPH, SWRCB, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA), ratepayer or taxpayer advocate organizations, and the business community.
Members of the Advisory Group are:
|Ray Tremblay||Department Head, Utilities Planning||County Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County|
|Jim Fiedler||Chief Operating Officer||Santa Clara Valley Water District|
|Amy Dorman||Project Manager, Water Department||City of San Diego|
|Mike Wehner||Director of Water Quality and Technology||Orange County Water District|
|Al Lau||Director of Engineering and Planning||Padre Dam Municipal Water District|
|Keith Solar||Member||San Diego County Taxpayers Association|
|Traci J. Minamide||Chief Operating Officer||City of Los Angeles, Bureau of Sanitation|
|Garry Brown||Executive Director||Orange County Coastkeeper|
|Andria Ventura||Program Associate||Clean Water Action|
|Conner Everts||Executive Director||Environmental Justice Coalition for Water|
|Frances Spivy-Weber||Co-Chair, SWRCB||State Water Resources Control Board|
|Julie Labonte||Member, Water and Energy Committee||San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce|
|Edward Moreno, MD, MPH||Health Officer||Monterey County Health Department|
|Bruce Macler, PhD||National Risk Assessment Expert||US EPA, Region 9|
|Randy Barnard||Senior Engineer||Division of Drinking Water|
- Return to DDW Report to Legislature Page
- Return to the Main Recycled Water Page
- Expert Panel - Additional Information