Welcome to the State Water Resources Control Board Welcome to the California Environmental Protection Agency
Governor's Website Visit the Water Board Members Page
My Water Quality
Performance Report
State Water Control Board

Storm Water Program


Quick Links

  • News
  • Construction General Permit Order 2009-0009-DWQ - Effective July 17, 2012
  • Obtaining Construction General Permit Coverage
  • Linear Projects
  • Other Permits and Programs
  • Historical Documents
  • Contact Information
  • News

    The Order 2009-009-DWQ has been administratively extended until a new order is adopted.

    Construction General Permit Order 2009-0009-DWQ

    Construction General Permit Order 2009-0009-DWQ

    Dischargers whose projects disturb one (1) or more acres of soil or whose projects disturb less than one acre but are part of a larger common plan of development that in total disturbs one or more acres, are required to obtain coverage under the General Permit for Discharges of Storm Water Associated with Construction Activity Construction General Permit Order 2009-0009-DWQ. Construction activity subject to this permit includes clearing, grading and disturbances to the ground such as stockpiling, or excavation, but does not include regular maintenance activities performed to restore the original line, grade, or capacity of the facility.

    The Construction General Permit requires the development of a Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) by a certified Qualified SWPPP Developer (QSD). Many California Board of Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors and Geologists (CBPELSG) have self-certified. In addition the California Stormwater Quality Association (CASQA) has a lookup tool to find licensed QSDs: CASQA QSP/QSD Lookup Tool.

    Obtaining Construction General Permit Coverage 

    Linear Projects

    Linear projects disturbing one or more acres of land must obtain coverage under the Construction General Permit Order 2009-0009-DWQ.

    Other Permits and Programs

    The Lahontan Regional Water Board (Regional Water Board 6SLT) has adopted its own permit to regulate storm water discharges from construction activity in the Lake Tahoe Hydrologic Unit. Owners of construction projects in this watershed must apply for the Regional Water Board permit rather than the statewide Construction General Permit. Construction projects within the Lake Tahoe Hydrologic Unit must comply with the Construction General NPDES Permit for the Lake Tahoe Basin (R6T-2011-0019) for remainder of 2016. Construction General NPDES Permit for the Lake Tahoe Basin (R6T -2016-0010, effective January 1, 2017).

    Historical Documents

    Contact Information

    • General email: stormwater@waterboards.ca.gov
      Phone: 1-866-563-3107
    • Mail:
      State Water Resources Control Board, Storm Water Section
      PO Box 1977
      Sacramento, CA 95812-1977
      email Would you like to receive email updates on the Construction Storm Water program? 
                Subscribe online to our electronic mailing lists.
      (Updated 4/11/17)