Industrial Stormwater Program
The Industrial General Permit regulates industrial storm water discharges and authorized non-storm water discharges from industrial facilities in California. The Industrial General Permit is called a general permit because many industrial facilities are covered by the same permit, but comply with its requirements at their individual industrial facilities. The State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) and Regional Water Quality Control Boards (collectively, the Water Boards) implement and enforce the Industrial General Permit.
The Statewide General Permit for Storm Water Discharges Associated with Industrial Activities, Order 2014-0057-DWQ (Industrial General Permit or IGP) implements the federally required storm water regulations in California for storm water associated with industrial activities discharging to waters of the United States. The IGP regulates discharges associated with 10 federally defined categories of industrial activities.
Industrial facilities such as manufacturers, landfills, mining, steam generating electricity, hazardous waste facilities, transportation with vehicle maintenance, larger sewage and wastewater plants, recycling facilities, and oil and gas facilities are typically required to obtain Industrial General Permit coverage. See Attachment A of the permit for a complete list of facilities covered by the Industrial General Permit.
- Standard Industrial Classification Manual, 1987
- State Water Resources Control Board presentation on Standard Industrial Classification Codes (SIC) codes
- Regulated Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Codes:
- If industrial facility requires permit coverage you can review the types of permit coverage and the register to obtain coverage through SMARTS
In the adoption of the IGP in 2014, the State Water Board recognized the need for a comprehensive training program to provide a statewide training specifically for individuals assisting Dischargers with compliance of this permit, standardized knowledge of implementing the Industrial General Permit through training, and required quality assurance, sampling methods, and protocols for storm water discharge sampling. Obtaining storm water discharge data that is higher in quality is crucial for future regulations in the permit.
Impaired Waterbody and Total Maximum Daily Load Map Tool
- Impaired Waterbody Map Features:
- This map tool allows a user to locate Hydrologic Unit Code 10 (HUC-10) watersheds and impaired waterbodies with applicable requirements from Appendix 3 of the Industrial General Permit.
- Total Maximum Daily Load Map Features:
- This map tool allows a user to find Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) waterbody(ies) or watersheds that will have implementation requirements through the Industrial General Permit effective July 1, 2020.
- DISCLAIMER: The map tool is for information only and there is no explicit or implied assurance of the accuracy for the information provided. The map tool will help Dischargers determine potentially applicable TMDL requirements based upon facility location, but it is ultimately the responsibility of the Discharger to identify applicable TMDL requirements by identifying the facility’s: 1) receiving waterbody(ies), 2) the pollutants discharged, and 3) applicable requirements in Attachment E of the Industrial General Permit.
- Impaired Waterbody Map Features:
The resources presented are intended to provide guidance on the Industrial General Permit and to provide some outreach materials on the permit for use by the public, storm water professionals and other agencies.
Subscribe to our Email Lists
- Subscribe to our "Storm Water Industrial Permitting Issues" list under the "Water Quality" section.
Storm Water Contacts
- State Water Resources Control Board
Storm Water Section
PO Box 1977
Sacramento, CA 95812-1977
- General Inquiries:
Toll Free: 1-(866)-563-3107
- State and Regional Board Contact Information
- Report a Non-Filer - Let us know if a business does not have a Storm Water Permit.
- Report a QSD/QSP (Construction General Permit Qualified SWPPP Developer/Qualified SWPPP Practitioner)