Storm Water Program - Trash Implementation Program
The Trash Amendments apply to all municipal separate storm sewer system [MS4], industrial, and construction NPDES permittees.
The State Water Resources Control Board Executive Director sent separate 13383 Orders to traditional and non-traditional Small MS4 permittees and to the Department of Transportation on June 1, 2017. Regional Water Quality Control Boards, as the Permitting Authorities, issued Water Code 13383 Orders to their Phase I permittees that contained region specific requirements, which differed in some cases from the State Water Resources Control Board Orders.
Upon reissuance or amendment, State and Regional Water Board MS4 permits have or will contain trash control implementation requirements and compliance milestones to demonstrate progress towards 100 percent compliance with the Trash Provisions. On June 22, 2022, the State Water Board reissued the Statewide Department of Transportation General Permit. On September 8, 2022, the State Water Board reissued the General Permit for Stormwater Discharges Associated with Construction and Land Disturbance Activities. These reissued permits implement the Trash Provisions for the Department of Transportation and construction dischargers. The General Permits for Stormwater Discharges Associated with Industrial Activities and the Small MS4 General Permit will implement the Trash Provisions when reissued.
Trash Amendments Timeline
View Our Program Pages
- Executive Director Designee Certification of Trash Full Capture Systems
- Certified Trash Full Capture Systems Available to the Public. This includes two tables of Trash Certified Full Capture Systems available to the public. The tables include:
- Catch Basin Inserts and Other Insert Systems
- High Flow Capacity Trash Full Capture Systems
- Categorically Certified Multi-Benefit Trash Treatment Systems
- Decertified Trash Full Capture Systems
- Application Requirements for Trash Full Capture System Certification
- Trash Capture Devices Mosquito Control Design Guidelines
- Link to California Stormwater Quality Association Website to Access Trash Full Capture Systems Applications and Legacy Full Capture Systems Fact Sheets
(Page Last Update 11/30/2023)