Phase II Small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Program
Amendments to the statewide Small MS4 General Permit to include TMDLs
Until the State Water Board clerk certifies the modified Small MS4 Permit that contains the Amendment adopted by the State Water Board on December 19th, the below unofficial draft document is available for use.
- Amended Small MS4 General Permit (Unofficial Draft)
Phase II Small MS4 Permit
On February 5, 2013, the proposed final draft of the Phase II Small MS4 General Permit was adopted and became effective on July 1, 2013.
- Final Order (without attachments)
- Fact Sheet
- Attachment A - Traditional Permittees
- Attachment B - Non-Traditional Permittees
- Attachment C - Special Conditions for ASBS Discharges
- Attachment D - List of ASBS Dischargers
- Attachment E - Community-Based Social Marketing Requirements
- Attachment F - Standard Provisions
- Attachment G - TMDL Implementation Requirements
- Attachment H - Acronyms
- Attachment I - Glossary
- Designation Flowchart
- Monitoring Flowchart
Trainings and Meetings
Meetings with K12 School Districts and Community College School Districts
The following is the schedule of outreach sessions:
- San Diego - May 14, 2018
- Lodi - May 17, 2018
- Sonoma - June 13, 2018
- Mendocino - June 20, 2018
- Los Angeles - June 26, 2018
- Oakland - July 25, 2018
Staff is providing a presentation at each of the outreach sessions. For your convenience, the presentation is provided in .pdf format.
School District Soft Outreach Presentation
In conjunction with PG Environmental, LLC, State Water Resources Control Board staff conducted two training classes for Notice of Intent/Non-Exposure Certification and Small MS4 General Permit Training in May 2016. One training class was held in Southern California and the other in Northern California. The agendas for both classes are available below. The video of the southern California classes are also available below:
Please contact Leo Cosentini at (916) 341-5524 or email@example.com if you have questions.
Phase II Small MS4 Permit Annual Report
The Annual Report is now available in SMARTS! The Annual Report is due October 15th of each year and must be submitted via the State Water Board's SMARTS reporting system.
To access the Annual Report please follow these steps:
- Log in using your username and password at: https://smarts.waterboards.ca.gov/
- Go to: Main Menu and select Municipal Phase II Permit
- Click 'Active NOIs'
- Open your WDID #
- Click 'Reports' tab
- Go to 'Report Requirement' drop down box and select the Annual Report
- In the 'Report Year' drop down box, select 2013-2014 Reporting Year
- Click 'Get Reports'
- Click on the Report ID to open/start the Annual Report
Permittee Guidance and Resources
The following guidance and resources are provided for additional information and reference for the Phase II Small MS4 permit requirements. Please note: The contents of the referenced websites and documents do not necessarily reflect the view and policies of the State Water Resources Control Board, nor does the mention of trade names or commercial products constitute endorsement or recommendation for use.
- Application Requirements
- Program Management
- Education and Outreach
- Public Involvement and Participation
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Pollution Prevention and Good Housekeeping
- Program Effectiveness
- TMDLs (Coming Soon!)
- Annual Reporting and SMARTS (Coming Soon!)
- FAQ (Coming Soon!)
- General Information
Subscribe to our Email Lists
- Subscribe to our "Storm Water Municipal Permitting Issues" list under the "Water Quality" section.
Questions or Comments
- Paul Levy
Ex Parte Disclosure Requirements for Pending General Orders
This item is subject to the ex parte communication disclosure requirements of Water Code section 13287.
Any communications between interested persons and board members (other than at a noticed board meeting or submitted as a comment letter in compliance with the public notice) must be disclosed by the interested person within seven days of the communication.
Beginning January 22, 2013, ex parte communications between interested persons and board members concerning this item are prohibited.