Phase II Small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Program
Proposed Phase II Small MS4 Permit TMDL Amendment
The State Water Board will consider amending the Small MS4 Permit to incorporate new or revised TMDL implementation language. The State Water Board will consider adopting the proposed Small MS4 Permit amendment at its December 19, 2017 Board Hearing.
The proposed Small MS4 Permit amendment consists of the following items:
- Amendment to Order
- Amendment to Fact Sheet
- Amendment to Attachment G
- The proposed Small MS4 Permit amendment package can be viewed here.
The State Water Board held a public hearing on July 5, 2017 to receive oral comments on the proposed amendment. The State Water Board published the proposed Small MS4 Permit amendment for public comment on June 5, 2017 and the public comment period ended on August 21, 2017.
The proposed Draft amendment consisted of the following items:
Proposed Amendment to Order 2013-0001-DWQ (Small MS4 Permit) (With all Attachments)
Proposed Small MS4 Permit Attachment A and B Amendments
The Executive Director of the State Water Resources Control Board provided the public opportunities to comment on two revisions to Attachment A and B of the Small MS4 Statewide General Permit, Order No. 2013-0001-DWQ. Comments were not received. The Executive Director approved the revisions as shown in the following Water Quality Orders 2015-0133-EXEC and 2016-0069-EXEC.New! Notice of Opportunity to provide public comments.
Phase II Small MS4 Permit
On February 5, 2013, the proposed final draft of the Phase II Small MS4 General Permit was adopted and became effective on July 1, 2013.
- Final Order (without attachments)
- Fact Sheet
- Attachment A - Traditional Permittees
- Attachment B - Non-Traditional Permittees
- Attachment C - Special Conditions for ASBS Discharges
- Attachment D - List of ASBS Dischargers
- Attachment E - Community-Based Social Marketing Requirements
- Attachment F - Standard Provisions
- Attachment G - TMDL Implementation Requirements
- Attachment H - Acronyms
- Attachment I - Glossary
- Designation Flowchart
- Monitoring Flowchart
Trainings and Meetings
In conjunction with PG Environmental, LLC, State Water Resources Control Board staff conducted two training classes for Notice of Intent/Non-Exposure Certification and Small MS4 General Permit Training in May 2016. One training class was held in Southern California and the other in Northern California. The agendas for both classes are available below. The video of the southern California classes are also available below:
Please contact Leo Cosentini at (916) 341-5524 or email@example.com if you have questions.
Over the next few months Water Board staff will be meeting with Permittees to discuss Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) requirements included in the Phase II Small MS4 permit (Attachment G). Presentation materials for the Kick-off Meeting held September 20, 2013 is listed below. Check back soon for upcoming meeting details and schedule.
- Phase II Small MS4 Permit TMDL Requirements (Slide Presentation)
During summer 2013, State Board staff held several workshops throughout the state to provide training for Permittee staff, consultants and other interested members of the public. Presentation materials can be found here:
- Phase II Small MS4 Permit Workshop Presentation (Slide Presentation)
Phase II Small MS4 Permit Workshop Handout (3 slides / page with notes)
Phase II Small MS4 Permit Workshop Presentation - Non-Traditionals
Phase II Small MS4 Permit Annual Report
The Annual Report is now available in SMARTS! The Annual Report is due October 15th of each year and must be submitted via the State Water Board's SMARTS reporting system.
To access the Annual Report please follow these steps:
- Log in using your username and password at: https://smarts.waterboards.ca.gov/
- Go to: Main Menu and select Municipal Phase II Permit
- Click 'Active NOIs'
- Open your WDID #
- Click 'Reports' tab
- Go to 'Report Requirement' drop down box and select the Annual Report
- In the 'Report Year' drop down box, select 2013-2014 Reporting Year
- Click 'Get Reports'
- Click on the Report ID to open/start the Annual Report
Permittee Guidance and Resources
The following guidance and resources are provided for additional information and reference for the Phase II Small MS4 permit requirements. Please note: The contents of the referenced websites and documents do not necessarily reflect the view and policies of the State Water Resources Control Board, nor does the mention of trade names or commercial products constitute endorsement or recommendation for use.
- Application Requirements
- Program Management
- Education and Outreach
- Public Involvement and Participation
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Pollution Prevention and Good Housekeeping
- Program Effectiveness
- TMDLs (Coming Soon!)
- Annual Reporting and SMARTS (Coming Soon!)
- FAQ (Coming Soon!)
- General Information
Subscribe to our Email Lists
- Subscribe to our "Storm Water Municipal Permitting Issues" list under the "Water Quality" section.
Questions or Comments
- Bill Hereth
Ex Parte Disclosure Requirements for Pending General Orders
This item is subject to the ex parte communication disclosure requirements of Water Code section 13287.
Any communications between interested persons and board members (other than at a noticed board meeting or submitted as a comment letter in compliance with the public notice) must be disclosed by the interested person within seven days of the communication.
Beginning January 22, 2013, ex parte communications between interested persons and board members concerning this item are prohibited.